Wednesday, March 18, 2009

On Yellow Pads and Such

A funny thing happened on the way to my blog. I spent the weekend writing bits and pieces on a yellow pad. I assembled it together, put it in a file folder and brought it to my office to give to my typist. It disappeared and a week+ later it is still missing. It is an aging thing, I am afraid.

In a make lemonade way, it taught me some lessons. Blogging is 21st century, yellow pads went out in the 90’s. Blogging, like the computer, is spontaneous -- an in the moment creation. Yellow pad writing is edited, while blogs are top of the head, from your gut stuff where spelling and punctuation count much less than meaning. (Please don’t tell all my past English teachers I said that!) Blogs fly, pads get lost! We all need to fly above the crisis to see how and what we can get out of it for ourselves.

Yet another lesson was that I can be wordy on pads. I need to be crisp on blogs. Who has the time or patience to read a dissertation these days? I will keep working on that. The next one will be even shorter.

One more lesson. People who like to write see each word as a diamond. To lose pages of one’s writings can feel like you lost your best friend, or worse your alter ego. It’s certainly not the same as financial losses, but it is a loss, none-the-less. Isn’t it time for all of us to get off our inflated ego alter and build one that endures, even during the crunch times. I can recreate words just like people can recreate themselves…if they/I really want to. Amazing how much we can learn when we have lost something of value to us!

That is what this blog is all about. Dwelling on the negative gets us nowhere. Learning from that gets us out of there! Of interest, since starting to write these blogs I have been happier and more positive. Try it, you’ll like it!

My staff and I have so much more to say. Sign on and be part of a group of people determined to remain steadfast and determined. People who will look for and find silver linings amid the wrinkles of our tattered fabrics. People who may flinch, but won’t buckle or cave in. People who know that from adversity comes triumph for those who stay the course. People who follow Danny Boyle, of “Slumdog” fame, who quotes Plato in a Time Magazine interview, “BE KIND, FOR EVERYONE YOU MEET IS FIGHTING A HARD BATTLE.” Guess they had a subprime mortgage mess back in ancient Greece as well or maybe, just maybe, that is the nature of life. I think that is the case.

Tell your family and friends about our blog today. Come back tomorrow. It is time for positive news!! We promise a new idea or thought every business day.

Bye For Now,

Bill
www.williampenzer.com
954 475 1371 x 301
561 361 1898 x301

see blog on 3/17/09 to know our goals

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting, detatching from the computer. I recently attended a conference and one of the sessions was on magnet proto-typing - designing application windows - using magnets shaped like window controls, a metal white board, and dry erase markers. I guess the whole point here is, sometimes it's good to get away from the computer- even when it comes to designing things for one and like this example it can be applied to many aspects of life.

    Every word is a diamond! Some of us readers hang on to each word verses skimming through just to read for the sake of reading.

    ReplyDelete